Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Most people in the world love God, they just hate church! There are a lot of great churches, but by and large most churches have lost their way. They are so busy building ministries they have forgotten that we are supposed to build people." ~ Jim Richards

I read that about a week ago and can't seem to get it off my mind! Interestingly enough, over the last few months I have told people numerous times, "We are NOT trying to grow a ministry! We are simply following God one foot step at a time." We have many people tell us that they are praying for our ministry and for the church to grow. While I appreciate their prayers and I know their intentions are good, every time I hear it I want to shout, "It's not about growing a ministry!" I told someone a month or so ago, "If anyone ever gives me a book on how to grow a successful church/ministry it is going straight in the trash!"

Go into any Christian or secular book store and you will be able to find a whole slew of books on how to grow a successful ministry or church. As I was thinking about this fact, my first thoughts were, "Why in the world would anyone want to read a "how-to" book about how to build a ministry? Why would anyone want to 'model' their ministry after another 'successful' ministry? What works for one may NOT work for the other! What God wants for one ministry many NOT be what HE wants for the other! We need to listen for and follow after God's voice... plain & simple!" Then I heard that still small voice that said, "I NEVER asked men to build ministries!" I then remembered what Psalms 127:1 says, "Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain." We need to focus on what God has called us to do, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." Mark 16:15 and let GOD take care of building His house!

The church is not a building! The church is not a ministry! The church is not a denomination or a non-denomination! The church is the body of Jesus Christ! The Church is people!!! It's time for the 'walls' (built by man) of the church to come down so that Christians can go about their Father's business and go out into their world (their neighborhoods, their families, their workplaces) and share the good news!

Lord, I NEVER want to focus on building a ministry; I ONLY want to focus on YOU! Lord my desire is to share the GOOD NEWS with others so that they can truly know who they are in Christ and be whole and healthy in YOU! I want people to realize that they do not have to be dependent on the "church" or a ministry or a leader; they can depend COMPLETELY on YOU!! I want people to accept the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work so that they realize they are in right standing with God at all times so that they are well able to go out into their world and make an impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment