Friday, July 30, 2010

Who Has Bewitched You?

I started studying in Galatians last night and WOW! It is ALL so good! I would love to discuss every scripture but so that this blog doesn't become too long, I encourage you to read it for yourself.

Galatians 2:21-3:3 "I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?"

The word "bewitched" really stood out as I read this. "Who has bewitched you?" Bewitched? I had heard that term before... "Bewitched" was a sitcom that was on TV from 1964-1972 about a mortal man married to a witch. Now, we all know the apostle Paul was not talking about Darrin Stephens and his witch wife Samantha. Never the less, Paul was referring to witchcraft. If someone has bewitched you they have affected you with witchcraft or magic or have cast a spell over you.

So why did Paul ask this question to the Galatians? "Oh foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you?" It was because they had put themselves back under the law and were trying to attain the goal by their own efforts! We need to always remember... "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9) We are saved by GRACE, not by our human efforts.

As you can read in my "NEVER will I leave you, NEVER will I forsake you" post, I too was foolish like the Galatians and had been bewitched. I was saved by GRACE and then over time I allowed myself to be put right back under the law. As I press on towards the mark (or goal) I am determined to give Jesus Christ ALL the credit. I DO NOT want it to be about me, my knowledge (or lack thereof), my works or good deeds or for that matter all my mess-ups and mistakes. Lord help me to get ME out of the picture! I want to give Jesus ALL the glory and honor that He deserves! I want to know, REALLY know Him and His finished work! Apart from Christ I am nothing and can do nothing! Yet, "I can do all things through Jesus who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment