Thursday, October 7, 2010

Zipping with God

Today, my husband & I spent 3 hours zip lining in the Smokey Mountains. Bob wanted to go on vacation in the mountains and have a peaceful "get away" reading & relaxing. Reading & relaxing are nice, but MY idea of a vacation includes something that is a little more exciting! So we compromised... I read & relaxed with Bob and he came zip lining with me!

I will have to admit, my motives for going "zipping" had nothing whatsoever to do with God; I simply love a good thrill. However, God did remind me of just how wonderful He is while up in the canopy of the trees.

There were 8 people in our group, along with 2 guides. Before we left for the top of the mountain, our guides explained to us that they would remain with us at all times. One guide would always be the first to zip and go before us onto the next platform while the other guide would stay behind and be the last one to zip off of each platform. They assured us that they would NEVER leave us and would remain with our group the entire time. Sound familiar? God reminded me of His promise in Hebrews 13:5, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."


Before we set out on our adventure, the guides helped us get all of our gear on including our harnesses, helmets, etc. We were equipped with all the right tools to keep us safe and secure. Sound familiar? God reminded me that He has supplied us with gear called the Armor of God so that we are able to stand against the devil's schemes(Ephesians 6:10-20). Now, I could have foolishly refused to put on all the safety gear provided for my protection; but I chose to use every item supplied! You can choose NOT to put on the full armor of God; but I would not recommend it! I would highly suggest that you cloth yourself with the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, put the gospel of peace on your feet, take the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and don't forget the sword of the spirit, which is the Word!

Once we were well equipped, we headed up the mountain in jeeps zig-zagging through the winding rough roads so that we could reach our starting point and start zipping down the mountain. Sometimes the road of life can be difficult but we need to be like Paul and continue to press on towards the mark (Philippians 3:13-14).

As we climbed up on the 1st platform, the guides hooked not just one, but two metal clips to a cable connected to the first tree that we were now in. They told us that our feet would not touch the ground again for another 2 1/2 hours. They also told us that from that point on we would always be safe (even though we would be up in a tree or suspended in mid-air zipping from tree to tree high above the forest canopy). And what was the reason that we would be so safe? What if we tripped and fell while on a platform? What if we jumped before they told us? Why could they so confidently assure us that we would not fall? They explained that we would ALWAYS be connected to the cable... ALWAYS!!! Each of us actually had 2 metal clips attached to our harnesses; at least one of those clips were attached to the cable at ALL times. We could safely zip from one platform to the next because we were connected to our anchor. Sound familiar? Jesus is our source; our anchor. When we are connected to Him, we are ALWAYS safe! He is ALWAYS there for us! I excitedly and confidently took the "leap of faith" off the first platform and went sailing through the sky! I had no fear because I knew I was anchored to the cable. When we know who we are in Christ, we will have no fear. When Jesus Christ is our anchor, we can confidently take ANY "leap of faith" that God wants us to take! Go for it! You will not regret it!

Each platform was built high up in a treetop. These trees were huge! They towered above the ground! We had 2 people in our group that were a little scared and each time they reached a platform they breathed a sigh of relief. We jokingly called them 'tree huggers' because as soon as they reached the platform they would hug onto the tree in the middle of the platform. They enjoyed the 'safety' that the strong towering tree provided. Sound familiar? "The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe." Proverbs 18:10.

While we were up on the small circular platforms waiting for our turns to zip we quickly learned while we had been given helmets! We were being bombarded by HUGE acorns falling from the tree tops above us! The helmets were protecting us from the acorns! Without the helmets, those acorns could have knocked us out! I chuckled to myself as God used the acorns to speak to my heart, "Yes, there will be some "nuts" in your life that will try to "knock you out" & discourage you but you have the helmet of salvation! All things have been provided for you through that salvation. Keep pressing on!"

Sometimes the platforms were so far away from each other that you could barely see them. Each platform was REALLY high off the ground and seemed a little scary. Sometimes the next step that God wants us to take in life may seem a little scary or too big of a step for us to reach or accomplish, but remember... you are connected to Jesus! When you have Jesus, you can do it! Sound familiar? "I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength!" Philippians 4:13.

I thoroughly enjoyed zipping through the mountains spending time with my Abba Father!

Here are videos of Bob & I zipping

1 comment:

  1. Carla--Zipping with Jesus--so TRUE on all accounts! Great post!

    Aren't you Mrs. Cool, Calm and Collected on the zip-line?? I am impressed no screams!!!!

    ReplyDelete